The latter half of last week and now early this week, I have just been hit with a lot of system problems and a lot of down time. To sum this up, my Adobe Creative Suite then my Microsoft Office suites stopped working. Both indicated licensing and user access permissions were no longer valid. In fact, my licensing was fine, it just stopped working properly on my system.
I use 3 licensed applications extensively and two of them failed in the same day. Fortunately, all the open source applications I use don’t and probably will never have a similar problem. Just to be fair, I think the Office problem started because of the fixes necessary to get the creative suite working.
So you might say, just reinstall or repair the applications and your back to work. Not the case. I could not repair them, reinstall them and in the case of Adobe, I couldn’t even delete it.
At Adobe’s request, I used the following 2 programs to resolve the problem.
1. MSICUU2.exe – This is a program from microsoft which allows you to remove programs that the standard microsoft installer will not uninstall. AKA Windows Installer Cleanup Utility (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301)
2. Wincs3clean.exe – An adobe program that cleans up the registry. I think this cause my office problem.
I reinstalled Adobe, Adobe worked and Office did not. I could install and uninstall Office, but the current user could not run any applications. After some searching on the Internet, I found that you could run the applications as administrator.
There is a program called SetACL.exe that allowed me to fix the problem. This modified some permission in the registry that I would rather not have changed, but after 24 hours of unproductivity, I was getting desparate. Anyway, this did the trick.
setacl -ot reg -on “HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Components” -actn setprot -op “dacl:np;sacl:nc” -rec yes
Since then, I have had a couple Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) crashes due to my video card and running multiple monitors. I have updated the display driver but still got a BSOD. After more searching, the problem is being seen on both WinXP and Vista, both 32 and 64-bit systems with both ATI and nVidia video cards. One person said installing a second video card and running one monitor off each video card works rather than plugging 2 monitors into the same video card fixed their problem.
That doesn’t seem like a good solution to me, besides I don’t have a second PCI express 16x slot for a second video card. Some people reported multiple crashes per day. I am doing much better than that.
I guess I am just lucky that way!